APPENDICE F  - June 18, 1979  Andrew A. Rooney



I lived with the Army Press camp and covered the move through Normandy for The Stars and Stripes. We had a house on the main street in Ste Mere Eglise where the S&S staff lived for a time but I seldom got to it. My stories were sent by Press Wireless to London and then back to Cherbourg or wherever the paper was being printed. I did that as a matter of expediency even if I was only ten miles from the press.

It seems to me we tried to set up shop at a printing establishment in Carentan but the press was hit by german artillery fire before we every got started there.

APPENDICE G  - October 25, 1979  Andrew A. Rooney

During the time The Stars and Stripes staff was in Ste Mere Eglise, we lived in two adjoining brown stone houses East (or would it be South ?) of the church and the town square, and on the other side of the street.

There were perhaos eight or ten people staying there but some of them were in the ciculation department or doing things like payroll work etc. I did not stay there often myself because I travelled with the lst Army as a reporter.

My best memory of that time in Ste Mere Eglise was of two women who worked for us there. We gave them our boxed tenin-one rations and they provided us with our meals. Those Army rations had things like bacon, butter, sugar and beef in great wholsesale, unattractive chunks. We  didnt ask any questions of the women. They provided us with great meals by trading some of those items with local farmers for fresh milk products, vegetables and eggs.

I cant answer many of detailed questions you ask. I do know that while we were in Cherbourg, we were probably inhibited from using that dateline by the censors. By the time we got to Rennes, our location was no longer of any military significance so they let us say where we were.
There was no print in Ste Mere Eglise. You right.
I wish we had been as careful writing that book as you are being with your thesis.

APPENDICE H  - October 16, 1979  Charles F. Kiley - New Jersey USA


It is a fact that I was the first of The Stars and Stripes staff to reach the Continent and that I did go ashore at Omaha Beach on June 9. Soon after, perhaps two or three days later, I was followed by two men, Wally Newfield and a Sergeant Miller, who were not correspondents but were assigned to distribute copies of The Stars and Stripes which were printed in London and delivered to the beachhead by airplane.

It is true that Bucknell and Hodenfield landed with the paratroops and Rangers on or about D-Day. Bucknell suffered a broken leg on his jump and was evacuated to England. Hodenfield stayed with the Rangers for severals days and eventually joined up with men from The Stars and Stripes who arrived much later.
During my first week in France, I gathered news by radio and printed a newsletter with the use of a mimeograph machine supplied by a Special Service unit. The newsletter was distributed to troops as they came to food and ammunition depots.
During the time I printed the newletter I moved about to obtain stories from the American troops and send them to London by air courier for publication in the London edition of the The Stars and Stripes. One of the stories was about the Fourth Division, which had gone ashore at Utah Beach. I did not know it at the time but the identity of the divisions in the invasion had not yet been reported. But censorship was lifted at the time I wrote about the Fourth Division. Incidentally, I encountered Ernest Hemingway who was accompanying a Fourth Division headquarters unit. I do not recall whether he was gathering material or writing for a publication...

APPENDICE J  -  November 12, 1979  Charles F. Kiley - New Jersey USA

I will try to answer some of the questions in your most recent letter of october 23 as best I can, but it is from memory. I have no precise records.
I did mimeograph several newsletters. I do not remenber exactly how many. I gathered the news by radio via Armed Forces Network, typed the news on stencils and ran the newsletter off from a mimeograph machine in a Nissen hut occupied by a  Special Services detachment. As I said previously, the newsletter was distributed to troops via ammunition and food depots.

For my efforts I received a letter of  commendation signed by the commanding officer of Special Services.  At that time the German troops were about 5 miles from the beachheads. 

I have no recollection of S&S being published in France before Cherbourg. I expect the July 4 paper from "Somewhere in France" could have been published in Cherbourg, but I do not recall it. Also, I have no recollection of any stock of paper containing the S&S masthead, although that could have been shipped for the Cherbourg edition. Dornbusch states that an S&S detachment Landed "shortly" after D-Day. I can't say what "shortly" is. I landed on June 9, the first of S&S men ashore (after Hodenfield and Bucknell). Hodenfield stayed with the U.S. Rangers for a long time, writing about them and sending his stories back to London. Bucknell, as I have told you, broke a leg landing with the paratroops and did not write at all from France...

APPENDICE K  - December 17, 1979  Charles F. Kiley - New Jersey USA

I received your most recent letter, including the copy of The Stars and Stripes labeled Vol. 1, N 1, beachhead edition.

You asked if that was the mimeographed news sheet I turned out. Truthfully, I do not remember. As I have said in previous correspondence it took place 35 years ago. The sheet could have been one of house iput together and distributed. I do not recall anyone else having done it. What I do know is that I have in my possession a commendation for publishing the mimeographed newsletters.

Bud Hutton, Andrew R and Charles Kiley

You wondered why there were no reports by me in the Rennes edition. The answer is that I did not write anything at that time, except for a few dispatches sent to the London edition. Nearly all of my time was spent from D-3 until early in August trying to fulfill my mission of finding printing plants in which to publish the S&S. After the first week of August I was sent to New York and did not return until about Dec. 1 when the S&S was in Paris. From there I went to Liege, Belgium, to assit in opening an edition there.                         
Following that I was assigned to General Eisenhower's headquarters in Reims from where I reported the German surrender. My stories from Eisenhower's headquarters can be found in the Paris and London editions. Also, I was the only correpondent to cover the surrender at Reims and the so-called ratification surrender the following day in Berlin.

APPENDICE L  -  February 5, 1980  Charles F. Kiley - New Jersey USA

I will try to answer questions in your recent letters.
I do recall the cave at Cherbourg into which, it was said, the Germans sailed small craft and loaded them with coganc, cosmetics, perfume, etc. for shipment to Germany. I saw the cave. It was discovered by soldiers of the U.S. Fourth Division which had taken part in the D-Day landings at Utah Beach. I do not recall who wrote the S&S story. I may have but I do not recall having done so.

I arrived in Cherbourg with of four other S&S men (Hutton was one, a lieutenant Robert Moora (now dead) was another), right behind soldiers of the Fourth Division. I do not recall who were the First people we met, except for bodies of German soldiers. The only French people I recall were three women, a mother, daughter and friend, who cooked meals for us after we occupied a house in which Germans had lived during the occupation. the daughter and friend later were accudes by French officials of having associated with Germans and had their heads shaved.  

As I told you before, I recall being in the Cherbourg Eclair plant where two or three American soldiers were recruted to repair the linotype machines and that at about that time I left Cherbourg and returned to New York for three months. I have no idea where newsprint came from or what arrangements were made for newsprint. One of the S&S men who was there may be able to give you that information if you wish to write to him. He is Earl Mazo, 5915 Nebraska Avenue, N. W. , Washington, D. C. , 20015.

Vivian Leigh and Diana Wynyard with correpondents of Stars & Stripes

You may tell him I suggested you write to him. He may be able to get information from the Army Special Service Department in Washington.

summary | chapters | preface | presentation | sources | testimonials | home